COST Action CA15118
1st Call for STSM Applications
COST Action CA15118 “FoodMC” promotes discussion and networking on the use of in-silico and mathematical models in food science and industry, at the European level. In this first call for Short-Term Scientific Missions (STSM), we offer to fund three missions, to be performed between COST Member Countries or Near Neighbor Countries, or International Partner Countries. For the first Grant Period, we envision a second call for two-three additional missions, with a tentative collection date towards the end of 2016.
Who can apply?
Researchers (PhD students, post-doctoral or permanent researchers) from the public sector or industry, who are members of an institution in a COST Country. Currently, there are 25 countries enrolled in our Action, but other countries can apply. For more information, see www.cost.eu
What are the requirements?
The candidate has to spend the totality of his STSM in a host institution (research or industry) in a DIFFERENT COST Member Country (or approved Near Neighbor Country or International Partner Country) from their own. In addition, the STSM has to end by April 1st, 2017
What are the criteria for the selection process?
Scientific interest of the candidate STSM in the scope of COST Action FoodMC; cooperation with industrial partners; presence of Early Career Investigators; interest for the Inclusiveness Target Countries (for a list of ITCs as defined by COST, see http://www.cost.eu/about_cost/strategy/excellenceinclusiveness or the table at the end of the document); relevance for the food industry.
STSMs need to take place according to the following rules:
– minimum duration of 5 days;
– maximum duration of 90 days;
– carried out in their entirety before April 1st, 2017 (end of the first Grant Period for this Action).
However, exceptions can be made for ECIs wishing to stay for 91-180 days. For more details regarding the regulations related to STSM, please refer to the COST Vademecum (see under “Relevant documents” at http://www.cost.eu/participate)
Specific FoodMC rules concerning financial support for STSMs
– At least three STSMs can be financed in this call with a total budget of 7,500 EUR.
– Financial support is limited to cover travel, accommodation and meal expenses and is paid in the form of a grant. Please note that the grant is not intended to cover 100% of the expenses during the stay.
– The reimbursement rate per day to cover meals and accommodation is a flat rate that differs between countries according to the pre-specified list below (max: EUR 160). The reimbursement rate must be specified in the budget. No other expenses than accommodation and meals can be covered by the reimbursement rate.
– Up to EUR 500 may be attributed for the travel expenses; expected travel expenses must be
specified in the budget and be reasonable.
– A maximum EUR 2,500 in total can be afforded to the grantee for the full STSM including travel expenses for 90 days STSMs. For shorter STSMs, the maximum is reduced accordingly.
– In case of extended stays for ECIs a maximum of EUR 3,500 can be afforded to the grantee for the full STSM.
Final report of the STSM
After the STSM is finished, the grantee is required to submit a short scientific report to the host institution and to the STSM Coordinator no later than 30 days after the end date of the STSM for approval. For the specific content of this report, please refer to the COST Vademecum. Failure to submit the scientific report within 30 days will effectively cancel the grant. The STSM Coordinator is responsible for approving the scientific report and informing the Grant Holder that the STSM has been successfully accomplished. After receipt of the approval by email, the Grant Holder will execute the payment of the grant.
Please note that the reimbursement of STSM grantees will be done after the mission is over and the final report is submitted by the STSM participant. Exceptions to this rule cannot be granted. The final report will be uploaded to the FoodMC webpage.
How to apply for a STSM
The first collection date is October 20th, 2016. The proposals will be judged by the Core group of the Action. Successful candidates will be notified shortly after the collection date.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS AS FOLLOWS:
1. All applicants must carefully read the funding rules detailed in Section 7 of the COST H2020 Vademecum. This document is available at: http://www.cost.eu/participate under Relevant documents in the menu to the right.
2. STSM applications can be made by clicking on the following link www.cost.eu/STSM where you will be asked to create an e-COST account, or by logging into an already existing e-COSTaccount and clicking on “STSM Application” on the menu available on the left. All applicants must have an e-COST profile with bank account information.
3. All applicants must obtain a letter of invitation from the Host institution confirming that they can undertake the STSM on the given dates prior to submitting an application.
4. All applicants must complete, submit and download their STSM application from the e-COSTsystem.
5. All applicants must send their submitted STSM application form and the relevant supporting documents to Prof. Francesco Marra, firstname.lastname@example.org (STSM Coordinator) for evaluation before the application submission deadline expires.
6. Hence, the list of supporting documents to be submitted for the evaluation are:
a. The submitted STSM application form including the budget (downloadable when the online application is submitted – see point 4 above);
b. A 1 A4 page motivation letter including an overview of the proposed activities that will be performed which must contain a plan of work for the visit highlighting the proposed contribution to the scientific objectives of the respective COST Action;
c. A short C.V. including scientific degrees obtained (with dates), current position, previous work experience/positions, post-graduate courses and a list of academic publications – if applicable.
d. Letter of invitation to the applicant from a senior researcher affiliated to the Host institution (senior Researchers can be Associate Professor, Professor, Head of Department or equivalent);
e. A letter of support from the Home Institution including a statement accepting coverage of expenses not covered by the Grant during the planned STSM;
7. The application will then be assessed by the formally delegated person(s) in the STSM committee against the perceived contribution that the proposed visit will make against the scientific objectives outlined in the Action’s Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
8. The applicant will be formally notified of the outcome of their STSM application by Professor Francesco Marra, email@example.com (STSM Coordinator). The applicant will receive an official invitation with a link to the official grant letter, which must be downloaded and sent to the STSM Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org before the STSM is initiated for archiving purposes.
9. Within 30 days from the end date of the STSM, the successful applicant must submit a scientific report to the Host institution and to the STSM Coordinator at email@example.com
10.The applicant is also responsible for acquiring an official acceptance letter / Email confirmation of acceptance from a senior Researcher affiliated to the Host institution formally accepting the scientific report. This formal acceptance of the scientific report has to be sent to the Grant Holder and the Professor Francesco Marra, firstname.lastname@example.org (STSM Coordinator) for archiving purposes.
11. Failure to submit the scientific report and ensuring a formal acceptance letter/Email from the host within 30 days from the end date of the STSM will effectively cancel the Grant. The report will be uploaded to the FoodMC homepage upon approval by the STSM Committee.
12. Please note that COST can request additional information to substantiate the information contained within the documents submitted by STSM applicants.
Assistant Professor in Virtualization of Processes in Food Engineering,
Department of Industrial Engineering
University of Salerno, Italy
Tel: +39 089 96 2012, Email: email@example.com
COST Action CA15118